As the snow hits us this weekend, here we have some winter warmers for you to sip on by the fire. These are perfect for a good old family gathering and of course, you can also add alcohol such as rum or bourbon for the adults.
Spiced Hot Chocolate
- 4 c. whole milk
- 2 c. half-and-half
- 1/2 c. dulce de leche
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 10 oz. 70% dark chocolate
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
- Whisk together milk, half-and-half, dulce de leche, and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Return mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Gradually whisk in finely chopped 70 percent dark chocolate, whisking until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in pure vanilla extract, and kosher salt.
Nutella Hot Chocolate (Arbutus all time favourite)
- 4 cups low fat/skim milk
- 2 tablespoons Nutella , a chocolate hazelnut spread (or any hazelnut cacao spread)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons natural sweetener of choice/raw sugar
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Heat milk in a medium sized saucepan on medium - high heat until beginning to warm and steam. Add the spread, cocoa powder and sugar, and whisk until dissolved and combined. Bring to a gentle simmer while stirring, and take off heat
- Serve with your desired toppings.
White Spiced Coffee
- 3 c. whole milk
- 1 c. whole coffee beans
- 1½ stick Cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole green cardamom pods
- ¼ c. Honey
- Place the milk and crushed coffee beans in a saucepan. Heat the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Immediately remove from the heat and let the beans steep in the milk for 15 minutes.
- Strain the coffee mixture and transfer to the jar of a blender. Discard the crushed coffee beans. Add the cinnamon sticks, cardamom, and honey to the steeped milk and blend on high speed until the spices are coarsely ground, about 30 seconds.
- Strain the liquid back into the saucepan and discard the ground spices. Rewarm the spiced coffee over medium-high heat until the liquid is hot and steaming. Pour into warmed coffee mugs, and serve hot.
There we have it. Enjoy the sledding, snowman sculpting and snowball fights this weekend.