As we approach the New Year, and as a chef I often get asked about healthy recipes. January is the prime month for people to start their new healthy diets and I think that it is very important when designing Arbutus menus and attending Arbutus outside catering events, this should be kept in mind.
This got me thinking and here is a few healthy meals and snacks to get you well on your way and start on the right foot.
A low-fat, healthy snack with chicken, tomatoes and cucumber, and it takes just minutes to prepare.
- ½ wholemeal pitta bread
- 25g cooked skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cucumber, cut into chunks
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fill the pitta half with the chicken breast, cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
Egg & soldiers
We love this spin on the traditional using asparagus soldiers for your dippy egg - a great low-fat, gluten-free snack or light lunch.
- 1 soft boiled egg
- 7 spears of steamed asparagus
- Cut the soft-boiled egg in half and serve with the steamed asparagus for dipping.
Instant frozen berry yogurt
Three ingredients and two minutes is all you need to whip up this low-fat, low-calorie yogurt, which is ideal for eating after exercise.
- 250g frozen mixed berry
- 250g 0%-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- Blend berries, yogurt and honey or agave syrup in a food processor for 20 seconds, until it comes together to a smooth ice-cream texture. Scoop into bowls and serve.
There we have it. These are simple recipes and very easy to make. Perfect for busy routines when working or hitting the gym.