So we are now into January and the New Years healthy eating has commenced.
When dining out with friends and family it can be very difficult not to be tempted into overload eating or indulging on a chocolate fudge cake.
So here we have compiled a few tips to help you along when you are dining out
1. Avoid snacking on bread and nibbles before your main meal arrives
2. Ask for sauces to be served separately so you can eat less
3. Bulk up your meal with a side order of low-calorie steamed vegetables
4. Go for the grilled options instead of pan-fried
5. Share one dessert between two (yes, we know this may be a hard one to come to terms with)
6. Instead of having ice cream or cream with your dessert, ask for fruit purée or plain yoghurt
7. Drink plenty of water before and during your meal
8. Order your meal before everyone else so they won't tempt you into something you know will make you feel guilty later
9. Skip dessert and order a tea or coffee instead
10. Order soup or a salad before your main course
11. Swap cakes, chocolate creamy puddings and ice cream for fruit salads or other fruit-based desserts and lower-fat, lower-sugar yoghurts
12. Swap cream and cheese sauces for tomato and vegetable sauces
13. Lastly, Order Your Meal Before Everyone Else! Really, this may sound silly but it really works. People's menu choices and eating behaviours can be highly influenced by the choices of other people at the table. So if you are eating healthy but your friends aren't, ensure to order first.
There we have it. Follow these simple tips and you are well on your way to enjoying a night out with family and friends, but still able to stick to the "New Year, New Me" plan.
Love Team Arbutus